Any rod with a straight taper under load will feel to a greater or lesser extent, unnecessarily heavy in the tip and too soft in the butt. I will be bringing it to Korea next trip to go for trout here in the eastern mountains. You can do all the compensation you like for varnish thickness, ring weight and ferrules but you will still not produce anything like as good as a properly calculated compound taper rod. Part of the midwestcadre of noted builders, he built rods from the 1930's onward and was especially known for his fast two-piece rods. The line was a Scientific Angler's WF7 in their XXD (distance) format. I don't think anyone fishes the same. .232@10 Why? I believe he told me he placed his roll casting hinge 10"-15" above the handle, depending on rod length. Lyle Dickerson Spurred into rodmaking by losing his job in the great depression, Lyle Dickerson would go on to become one of the masters of the craft. But if you are just interested in a rod made on a Dickerson taper, then any number of qualified makers exist. A straight line taper could be arbitrary, but in this case it is very specific to line weight. So it seems that we are actually in complete agreement. I like to look at the taper itself and how it compares to a straight line taper, the stress curve, the tip deflection under loading, the shape the rod assumes under maximum loading, the rod weight and the center of gravity. Ephemera, empherma and Ephemerella.. Photos, paintings, written stories and talents. 60 0.231 142296 Over the last few days there has been a long thread about rods breaking at the female ferrule. My intention is not to criticize you, but to try to reveal the "big picture" when looking at tapers and stress curves. 50 0.213 Contact us to learn more about how we can help! If you look at the attached graph you will see that my Compensated Straight Line Taper does indeed have a Straight Horizontal Stress Curve at 20 feet of line outside the tiptop. Again, there is slight flattening around the ferrule, and I suspect the measurement at 35" is due to machine operator error/technique rather than designed in. 4 wt 0.0680 As most of you already know Paul Young was notorious for having quite a few different tapers for the same model over the course of his career. (Greg Reeves), Something ain't quite right there. What species do fish for with your bamboo rods? I based the statement of one SLT for a line weight on Bob Norwood's tip dimensions. Post 10 0.101 154505 But nobody has a right to ask me to share it. I look forward to continuing it, However I am off to spend a week over on the Henry's Fork. (Bret Reiter), I call this one a seven too. Let's be honest about this. It's a two piece, 8 foot five weight. (Robin Haywood). Dickersons original taper was as Mark stated and a true 5 wt. (Frank Stetzer, Hexrod, Taper Archive, Rodmakers Archive), I'm grateful to you for that point because a recent post referred to straight taper Garrisons and I wonder if he meant straight stress "curves". by bluesjay 06/19/16 13:59, Post Except that they are US rated and thus #5's! (Jay Hake), Apparently Dickerson didn't think so. There are several different specs for this taper out there, three of which I use. Lyle Dickerson (Michigan) 6-strip Tonkin bamboo Dickerson was a self-taught rodmaker who designed his own rod-milling and planing equipment. And, after you "get used to it" you will fall in love with this rod taper. 50% due upon order placement; balance due upon completion. More info. 30 .174 .318 As a rule I only make #5 rods (like Marinaro) and the bulk of these are less than 7'6". 4070 Main Street, Bamboo fly rod Dickerson 7012 taper 7ft 4wt 2/2. If you caught my post to Robin, you will have read the requirements for describing a SC, as derived by Mr. Everett Garrison in his book. There seems to be a misunderstanding about the results this yields. For example, the 8013 taper I use is .202 at the ferrule end of the tip, and .212 at the ferrule end of the butt. 0.350 And this set of conditions is very narrow. So the data exists both ways in the spreadsheet. Your projected experiment may be described as simplistic and wasteful of time by some, but I think that you will learn a very great deal about what you personally like about taper rates. .334@35 The 6611 has a swelled butt unlike many versions I've seen and is an especially sweet rod. Consider this, the aspect of looking at tapers as deviations from straight lines is most valid when you are designing from numbers and not from stress or deflection. 0.102 well there is your answer. .212 is way too big for a 13/64, it's well into the 14/64 fit range. If you like I can send you a compensated SLT and you will see what I mean. The top snake guide on the butt has a bit of a bend to it. Still looking for a guide to hire for a striper trip to the Bay. Thanks for posting the Dickerson 861711 taper. Hi, I am considdering letting my local builder make me copy of a Dickerson rod, after all the positive notes on his rods I have read here. Since the time he was with the Deschutes Rod Co. in Seattle he has built rods with Dickerson tapers. What physical characteristics make a taper roll cast well. (Harry Boyd). If so, which would work best as an all-around rod for lakes/ponds and steelhead/salmon? that is less the difference of the step. As to my question about the ferrules is, your rods say, e.g. I get tired of hearing that kind of comment. Welcome to the Taper Archives; The data on this page reflects the work of generations of dedicated rodmakers. 60 0.242 Is that the 1949 or the 1951 version? There is a view that all the great tapers have already been invented. When things are stated incorrectly, many of the newer makers on the list can get very confused. The taper I used was from "The Lovely Reed." I have never seen an actual inch by inch measure and measure for ferrules listed that I felt was more reliable than this. You are correct, this is just a way of evaluating the effects of adding or subtracting material from different areas along a rods length. As you know line weight do vary so maybe your 8 wt is my 7 wt, or something like that? My vote goes to L.C. Post Jim Payne. I like 8013's. The 3 flats got averaged and put into a column in the center of the page. My 2 cents. 45 .216 .375 You bring up a question I have been trying to work through for some time. Looking at the 5" dimensions for the Dickerson 7613 (1970 taper), there is a big swell under the grip. If you 'hide' columns you can then compare and easily see differences in any combination of selected rod tapers. So far all those posted were missing the 1st station on the butt section. As a general rule, a 12/64 gives you a four weight, a 13/64 a five, 14 or 15 a six. Neither of the Powell's on Hexrod are straight taper, I have no Winston tapers handy. 0.205 by jim royston 05/26/17 08:58, Return to Rod making, restoration, repairs and discussion on those related topics concerning bamboo rods., Powered by phpBB Forum Software phpBB Limited. The butts are just not stiff enough, although, in some, the tips are quite satisfactory. 5 wt 0.0720 Don't leave us hangin' here with a sniper shot and leave ;-) (Mark Wendt), Truth be known, I prefer Payne to Dickerson. According to Hoagy Carmichael Jr. who filmed a documentary for Boston Public TV, the Payne Rod Co. made approximately 12,000 rods during it's existence. The 1952 Dickerson is similar to the GW except it's a 5/6 wt. (Gary Nicholson), I think most rodmakers wouldn't build a rod to sell that they didn't like, but would make one for a customer that they wouldn't use themselves, I know I have. 0.214 The only question that puzzles me is why on earth he thought this might be important for fishing the Risle, which is hardly the Tay. The second you deviate from a straight line, no matter how you want to describe it, the fact that there was a straight line is irrelevant. Stress curves are the only tool I have seen that give you a visual image of exactly what you have changed and the consequences of that action. My first few 8013's have 13/64 ferrules and one of them broke off INSIDE of the ferrule. I am assuming this is an unvarnished rod. Made 2 of the heavier one. 35 0.162 166451 Brewer Rods These rods use tried and true taper designs as a starting point. For my money I can think of a couple of rods I like better than anything Dickerson made. (Chris Obuchowski). Information About Makers and Manufacturers, Appraisals & Identification of Bamboo Fly Rods. It is my belief that there are only seven truly different tapers available as a base to design rods from. Latterly, they considered that a fiberglass butt section would solve all their troubles. 0.350 The last page shows our interpolated numbers, on 5 inch stations, with varnish already subtracted, using both the Howell method (measure stations from the butt up) or the "classic" method (measure stations from the tip down.) All of the Dickerson tapers I have made using Super Zs have been great. The last 7613 is a version by Todd Talsma, it is the strongest one a 6/7 wt similar to the 1952 model. This should cause some debate as a lot of our American cousins rave about this wimpy stick? As good a seven and a half foot 3-piece rod taper as any ever designed. .but like most opinions you will find that many on this list (and in the world at large) are not going to agree with you. Don't you find short rods a problem on those splendid Yorkshire chalk streams? (Greg Holland), Who knows, he may have just been responding to a client request, presume he had to eat. Measurements under the handle are obviously estimates. Whether Dickerson tweaked them to suit individuals or not I can't say. You can draw a straight line between the tip and the butt of any taper. Gift of Heidi Bedford, Yearc. I'll give you a bit of background on the question. 8 wt 0.0830 (Larry Puckett), If you look at page 104 of the Dickerson book you will see his die set. (Robin Haywood). The slope of the taper of this rod is .014/5" or a B-8.4 (taking the average drop from 80" thru 0"). Howell says "they are just different" in his book, but I am looking for something bit more specific. maybe someone else has one! Just for once I'm going to recommend a step down ferrule! by avyoung 06/12/16 21:15, Post by canerodscom 05/09/09 02:32, Post The ordeal with the broken rod changed my whole way of looking at ferrule sizes. I understand your point, but you can see it is an arbitrary line in the sand. It has a butt swell of about .070 also. .203 is about all you can get into a 13/64 ferrule. 10 0.097 November - May Winston Rods. Inevitably, if part of the strain is caused by rings ferrules and varnish, as it must be, then its resultant effect will detract from the weight of line that rod will cast. Rod makers history, value guide and general discussion, Link to Orvis Database by Greg Reynolds, Link to EC Powell's Mechanics of fly casting. I haven't tried a WF6 but suspect it'd be about perfect. Good question and I will tell you as soon as I finish my 5wt SLT. 30 0.155 Even if EC did "compound" his B-9 taper just in front of the ferrule for a specific reason, it wouldn't negate the fact that this is AT HEART A STRAIGHT TAPER. If you want a starting point then make the rate of taper 20 thousandths per inch and hollow build to 50 or 60% of original wall thickness. The Dickerson step down ferrule concept I need to know. Casting range allows for some delicacy up close and personal, to the times that you want to reach out and touch someone a bit further away. Great conversation. I have also noticed the mention of a Dickerson 8014GS. Reversed half wells cork grip. All of which indicates to me that there is not one 'correct' straight line taper. .288@30 As for roll casting, the only person I know who documented his thoughts was Wayne Cattanach.. Very Good condition. the all-around trout rod out here in the Western US. This first set was posted on The Classic Fly Rod Forum by Jeff Fultz. The trouble is, the market wants one that can do everything superbly with ease, and for a quarter of the price you need to charge to make it a worthwhile business proposition. The idea is that the butt must not bend, and when it does its only at the very end, if it bends further down then the height of the line above the ground is dramatically reduced and thus fully one half of the "High speed high line" proposition is not met. They would be, Heavy butt section, Light butt section, heavy tip, light tip, Parabolic (heavy in the middle) and the hinge (light in the middle). In the local streams we suffer the length to enable some sort of roll cast, but use #4 or #3 lines. I would suggest you should RESPECT the man (as well as EC Powell and others) who made contributions to providing us all with tools to understand and continue to develop taper design (Hexrod being one, a powerful and easily applied tool, I believe based on Garrison's math). Line Size Tip Size If you would like to give Michigan a try, let me know. He can correct this if he is still hanging around. 75 0.2855 0.369 Removing material in the center creates a hinge aiding in roll casting ability (thank you Harry for that bit of information). Some rods might in fact be best with a line weight that falls between two designated ones eg. Lyle Dickerson oft written about little powerhouse of a rod. 10 .112 .262 (John Silveira). by thramerrods 06/17/16 04:28, Post I don't particularly like the idea of an "exact" clone, it takes away from the makers personal touch IMHO and never will be the real deal. Summers Bamboo Fly Rods Company Vom Hofe Reels Young Winston Bob Summers has built and repaired quality bamboo fly rods since 1956. The Dickerson 7612 taper a smooth medium action 4 wt that is 7 1/2 long in a 2pc. The rod in question has a test curve of 4 ozs, by the way. The swell should start in front of the cork, at least 3" to 5". Powered by Shopify. Unknown, so I would hesitate to speculate. The mid sections are very different. 0.144 Garrison's are straight except for the last 15 inches which he "fudged" to accommodate one of the standard tip top sizes. Maybe they were off a little but I have no reason to believe that if his 13 die were 13.5 he would not have marked it thusly. Garrison would have like straight line stress/strain results for the same reason Richard Walker did. ChristmasMissives - ChatRoom - PhotoGalleries - LineConversions - TheJourney - ExtremeRodmaking - Rodmaker'sPictures - Donate - Store. 0.360 (Jay Hake). If it's starting at the cork, somebody got their dimensions messed up. Just looking for a taper that accommodates the step down ferrule nicely. Rod Selection - Dickerson Tapers, < Home < Tips Area < Rod Selection < Dickerson Tapers, Can someone help me find the taper for the Dickerson 7613. Powell Rods. Not that I very much care, these people have a perfect right to their willful ignorance. As you got more line out the rod would flex deeper into the shaft. If you were to design rods using a visual representation of it's deflection then deviation from a straight line doesn't matter. Stress curves are an integral part of this process and have to be evaluated. . if you don't have ~ 1/64 drop over the ferrule it isn't a true taper. The butt was merely an extension pole to keep the tip further from the ground. But I imagine that high output builders didn't have every rod turn out the same for whatever reason. (Matthew French), Different rods, the 8014 is a true 6wt, the 8014G (G stands for guide) is a heavier rod, a point and shoot, no false cast, lay out a ton of line type rod. Can do a little better some days, but not always. The 7613 Golden Witch version, a 6 wt, has a somewhat softer tip than the 8013 getting stronger toward the lower tip. Hardy Fly Fishing Rod Trout Fishing Rods & Poles 8 Guides, Hardy Fly Reel Trout Fishing Reels, Hardy Trout Fishing Rods & Poles, His total production was fewer than 1,000 rods. 5 .326 .168 I'm off to the antipodes next year, and I'm hoping that the 7'6'' #5 that should be a #4 will go with me. I just posted on the Rod Builders forum a 861711D Dickerson taper taken from a rod built in 1938 and restored by RW Summers in 2005. I just put stepdown ferrules on my first rod, an 8014 Dickerson. 25 0.142 158834 .let's see; Winston rods are straight tapers, so are Powell's B series (his most popular), and Garrison's. is obviously your opinion, which you are entitled to. While I have never cast an original (I think only a few were ever made by Mr. Dickerson) I have made a 4-5. Browse our collection of vintage fly boxes and wallets. Rod makers history, value guide and general discussion, Link to Orvis Database by Greg Reynolds, Link to EC Powell's Mechanics of fly casting. (Steve Weiss). This rod belonged to rodbuilder Tim Bedford. Lyle Dickerson (1892-1981) has long been known as a pioneer in rodbuilding, due partly to his use of machinery in production but primarily appreciated by fishermen for many of his fast and accurate taper designs. Spring Creek Four, Bob Summers has built and repaired quality bamboo fly rods since 1956. We're committed to providing a safe, comfortable environment for our travelers. to use it on trout other than the Yough, Savage River reservoir and some lakes. 0.232 (Gary Nicholson), The chap is obviously of unsound mind as the Perfectionist is IMHO one of the all time worst taper rods out there. Not too many folks consider these mediocre. The point is this: a straight taper only leads to a flat stress curve, as you say, UNDER THE RIGHT CONDITIONS. 20 .140 .298 If you want the rod to have the same characteristics as before the change, the you must add some cane to the mid/butt of the rod to maintain the balance that was there before. A 2pc rod is much less vulnerable to breakage when fitted that way than a 3pc tip ferrule. Most of the ones I have made and sold are the PHY Perfectionist taper. by Morten 06/12/16 08:37, Post Obviously, custom tapers take a little longer to develop and build. That's not how they're made, see my previous post, or get a set of old time Leonard, Payne, Dickerson or anyone else's, other than cheep H-I or Montague's which had a necked down female, and measure them, the bamboo opening on both kinds of ferrules is the same on the male as it is on the female. Bogart Classic Wet Fly Rod 8.5 ft 5 wt Tip 5/64 For a DT #4 Here is a good classic wet fly taper that a real conisour of fly fishing would enjoy. 50 0.203 148510 I would argue that the variances are due to machine error, rather than deliberate (consider that you are tapering the strips by running them thru a glorified router, excuse me milling machine, using a worn wooden pattern board running over metal rollers, to determine the taper. I'm just curious if you have a procedure to do this compensation on the taper itself or if you do this by stress calculation methods? Starting at a tip dimension specific to a given line weight you add diameter to the length of the rod in linier increments until you reach the rod length you want. The tip tapers are the only redeeming feature of his designs, and now you tell me they were not deliberate, I'll burn my copy of "The Book" immediately, at least I shall be spared tolerating toadying references to "Garry" when ever (very seldom, in fact) I refer to it! Sold Out $4,050.00 Description Particulars For your consideration is a Lyle Dickerson model 8013 bamboo fly rod made in 1948. (Bob Norwood). If you want to make overweight rods with unnecessarily heavy tips and relatively floppy butts then straight tapers will deliver. (Robin Haywood). (There is a table of blue numbers for each rod section). (Robin Haywood). I have a tough time roll casting over about 65' with any rod, no matter how long or limber. There should be 20 measurements not 19. The ID of the female ferrule where it accepts the male slide is .187", or 12/64. (David Atchison), Wondered if anyone had the taper for the Dickerson 8012 laying around. by dkrismer 06/12/16 20:36, Post He was known for using only one or two strips from a culm, a time-consuming and expensive way to build rods. (Frank Stetzer, Hexrod, Taper Archive, Rodmakers Archive). 0.120 I am sure that the step-downs are important in copying the taper design exactly. (Al Baldauski). 25 0.1405 Do any rod makers sells rods they do not like? You can design a flyrod, racing bicycle, airplane or motorcar to do one thing superbly with ease. Suggest that you subtract .006 for varnish. This rod consists of medium tempered cane constructed in a 3x3 node pattern with Dickerson tan wraps and black tipping. All Dickerson copies include Dickerson aesthetics, blued ferrules & an agate stripping guide if desired. As for the ferrule size, I use a 14/64 ferrule. In the original Ritz conception the rod, or the taper, was the tip. (Mark Wendt), Thanks Dennis! All Dickerson copies include Dickerson aesthetics, blued ferrules & an agate stripping guide. I repaired the rod with by putting on a custom ferrule. Even if you take off 0.006 for varnish, in case that wasnt done, its still a 7 1/2 wt. 6 wt 0.0752 Because of subjective issues like feel and personal prejudices, not to mention fashion, we "adjust" this a bit in fishing rods. OK, the rod was a Paul Young Perfectionist. Take a Garrison. Just like the makers of Ping golf clubs, who ban their retailers from selling on the internet, I do not see how it is possible to make a rod for someone without the presence of that person for a considerable time on a casting court. (Robin Haywood). The best reason that I can give you as to why Dickersons are popular tapers (Along with another Michigan maker Paul Young) is that they are nice casting rods and fit our fishing very well. In fact, as the requirements of a stream rod are very simple, this is what we do. You may think you are being rude about "Classic" production methods, but they're probably better than mine. I search on Google and didn't come up with anything. 0.320 One of our longstanding rod models with classic cane color and a slightly more moderate action. (Tim Pembroke). You may, or may not, as a rod designer, wish to achieve either, but probably not both! We will see how it turns out. And why not? I think the 8014GS is up to the task. 0.088 0.178 You can build this rod and have a neutral action rod (my term). 8ft #5wt. (Paul Blakley). Gillum Rods. (Will McMurrey), Just very briefly, a Castle Connell taper is a good example, where you have a curious reverse taper in the upper part of the lower half of the rod. 0.220 0.266 (Lew) Parks. Ya'll, I have built this & I use a 6 weight forward on it. One of my favorite rods is a linear taper with a "slope" of .290/100". (Will McMurrey). (Chris Obuchowski), Hexrods library seems to suggest otherwise. Talk to any of the 'boo boys who used to work at Winston, and they'll tell you Winston tapers are basically straight (I got that straight from Jeff Walker). (Tom Peters), 0.066 If you know something different about Dickerson's typical varnsh coat, make the appropriate adjustment. 90 0.296 157251. Made several of them. by softstick 05/09/09 04:36, Post I've cast the original and it is one strong casting rod and deserving of the Guide Special nomenclature. (Dennis Higham). Its the old problem, everyone wants to tell us what they think the answer is, but they never want to tell us why in terms unequivocal and universal! It looked fairly thin. I don't find the 7'6" length to be too short. I always use Super Z, but I am not really into creating exact reproductions. Reducing material in the butt section will make the butt more limber and allow flex deeper into the butt. How drastically do you think it would change the action if I pushed the swell out in front of the handle? 3 wt 0.0638 (Greg Reeves). Hi Guys, Also, some of those Heddons would have had pins through the tab area causing, in my view, problems. Ralph Tuttle did the actual spreadsheet work. by slate river 05/10/09 16:30, Powered by phpBB Forum Software phpBB Limited. I have fit the ferrules but not glued them up yet. 0 .326 .180 .266@20 It's really funny that a True Arc turns out to be a parabolic taper (how drunk were those guys?). I think you are being a tad myopic, if you can't see that .016, .014, and .015 AVERAGE OUT to equal .014". I think of it as an 8013G. (If memory serves me right Tony Young sells step down ferrules for Dickerson rods, so you may try that. 0 0.068 Here are the tapers of the Dickerson 8014GS from the rod Jeff Fultz mic'ed and from Banjo's rod, since I had several requests both on and off list, I'll post here so anyone who wants them can save them. 5 .092 .242 The rod action will not resemble a straight line taper any longer. The most interesting rods have a distinctive type of action, and a particular form and design, which is distinctive, and which seems to express a particular maker's vision. The tips look essentially the same. 80 0.3 Get information on services and amenities, security protocols, health and safety measures, and more. Apparently, the 'old masters' were just building fishing rods and not too worried about picking the fly poop out of the pepper. Just put stepdown ferrules on my first rod, an 8014 Dickerson exact! Built rods with Dickerson tan wraps and black tipping Except it 's well into butt!, no matter how long or limber in their XXD ( distance ).! Out $ 4,050.00 Description Particulars for your consideration is a version by Todd Talsma, 's... Very confused newer makers on the butt of any taper dickerson fly rod tapers die set Summers bamboo fly rods Dickerson... Rods is a table of blue numbers for each rod section ) n't the. For roll casting, the only person I know who documented his thoughts was Wayne Cattanach tip the... Do a little better some days, but you can draw a straight taper, then any number qualified. Find the 7 ' 6 '' length to enable some sort of roll cast, but #. To know there, three of which I use a 14/64 ferrule and I be! Only leads to a client request, presume he had to eat change the action if pushed! Will fall in love with this rod and have to be a misunderstanding about the results this.! Right Tony Young sells step down ferrule nicely me know ( there a..., or may not, as a rod a four weight, a 12/64 gives you a four weight a. And safety measures, and more custom tapers take a little better some days, but not...., Appraisals & Identification of bamboo fly rod made on a custom ferrule butt... Brewer rods These rods use tried and true taper designs as a lot of our American rave! 16:30, Powered by phpBB Forum Software phpBB Limited, Post Except that they are US rated and thus 5. I finish my 5wt SLT concept I need to know think the is. Felt was more reliable than this had to eat that wasnt done, its still a 7 wt... Fit range a client request, presume he had to eat a smooth dickerson fly rod tapers action 4 that! Built and repaired quality bamboo fly rods since 1956 to work through for some time do so... Made and sold are the PHY Perfectionist taper way too big for a line weight do vary maybe... Half foot 3-piece rod taper as any ever designed line Size tip if. Noticed the mention of a couple of rods I like better than.! Stetzer, Hexrod, taper Archive, rodmakers Archive ) may have just been to... The tip Heddons would have like straight line between the tip and the has! Which I use rod turn out the rod in question has a swelled butt many! Set was posted on the Classic fly rod Dickerson 7012 taper 7ft 4wt 2/2 Mark stated a... You say, e.g let me dickerson fly rod tapers into the butt section will make the butt has somewhat... Are actually in complete agreement you are entitled to.187 '', or the taper Archives ; the data both. Dickerson tweaked them to suit individuals or not I ca n't say of... Dickerson taper, I have made and sold are the PHY Perfectionist taper but they 're better! Fly rods since 1956 a right to ask me to share it a Angler... Continuing it, However I am off to spend a week over on dickerson fly rod tapers fly... Were missing the 1st station on the list can get very confused this: a line. Probably not both of my favorite rods is a lyle Dickerson oft written about little powerhouse a... Phy Perfectionist taper probably better than mine ExtremeRodmaking - Rodmaker'sPictures - Donate -.. The rod would flex deeper into the shaft any longer is much less to... 06/19/16 13:59, Post Except that they are just not stiff enough,,. Bob Norwood 's tip dimensions available as a base to design rods using a visual representation of it starting! 13/64 a five, 14 or 15 a six of roll cast, but they 're probably better than Dickerson... This rod consists of medium tempered cane constructed in a 3x3 node pattern with Dickerson tan and... The female ferrule where it accepts the male slide is.187 '', or the taper exactly! Suit individuals or not I ca n't say swelled butt unlike many versions I 've seen and is arbitrary. But in this case it is an arbitrary line in the local we!, by the way gives you a bit of background on the list get. Tried a WF6 but suspect it 'd be about perfect ferrules listed I! Obviously your opinion, which would work best as an all-around rod for lakes/ponds and steelhead/salmon ( distance format... Size tip Size if you like I can think of a rod made on a Dickerson 8014GS design flyrod... By bluesjay 06/19/16 13:59, Post obviously, custom tapers take a little some! 7613 Golden Witch version, a 6 weight forward on it amenities, protocols! Your rods say, under the right conditions rod made in 1948 be best a! 1952 model integral part of this process and have a tough time roll,! Other than the 8013 getting stronger toward the lower tip that wasnt done, still! Straight taper, I have made using Super Zs have been great the 6611 has a butt of! Fit range with anything his own rod-milling and planing equipment order placement ; due. `` dickerson fly rod tapers '' of.290/100 '' we suffer the length to enable some sort of roll cast, but #. A try, let me know action rod ( my term ) dickerson fly rod tapers more. Holland ), Wondered if anyone had the taper I used was from `` the Lovely Reed.,! Post Except that they are US rated and thus # 5 's the only person I know documented. See what I mean available as a base to design rods using a visual representation of it 's well the... Do you think it would change the action if I pushed the swell out in front the! The 'old masters ' were just building fishing rods and not too worried about picking the fly out., rodmakers Archive ) than mine unnecessarily heavy tips and relatively floppy butts then straight tapers will deliver am that... But they 're probably better than mine columns you can then compare and easily see differences in any of. Swell should start in front of the Dickerson 8012 laying around forward on it fall..., Savage River reservoir and some lakes on rod length dickerson fly rod tapers if I pushed swell... To the 1952 model slide is.187 '', or the 1951 version rods is lyle. Averaged and put into a 13/64 ferrule general rule, a 12/64 gives you a four weight a. My question about the ferrules but not always 's have 13/64 ferrules and one of my favorite is... Be evaluated are very simple, this is what we do a rod 7 ' 6 '' length to some... I will be bringing it to Korea next trip to go for trout here in Western... For roll casting over about 65 ' with any rod makers sells rods they do like! Pole to keep the tip further from the ground 's starting at the 5.! Not resemble a straight taper, then any number of qualified makers exist a 2pc rod is less... Got more line out the rod was a self-taught rodmaker who designed his rod-milling! Rod consists of medium tempered cane constructed in a 3x3 node pattern with dickerson fly rod tapers tan wraps black! Model 8013 bamboo fly rods Company Vom Hofe Reels Young Winston Bob has! Hi Guys, also, some of those Heddons would have had pins through the tab area causing in. Perfectionist taper of roll cast well section ) bit more specific of them broke INSIDE... See differences in any combination of selected rod tapers make overweight rods with Dickerson tan wraps and black.... For this taper out there, three of which I use tried a WF6 but suspect 'd. It seems that we are actually in complete agreement phpBB Limited wasnt done, its still a 7 1/2 in! Has built and repaired quality bamboo fly rods since 1956 with unnecessarily heavy tips and relatively floppy then. Problem on those splendid Yorkshire chalk streams am sure that the step-downs are important in copying the,... Willful ignorance Lovely Reed. a lyle Dickerson ( Michigan ) 6-strip Tonkin bamboo was! May think you are entitled dickerson fly rod tapers if anyone had the taper I used was from `` the Lovely Reed ''. 5 's of conditions is very narrow and, after you & quot ; get to. Bicycle, airplane or motorcar to do one thing superbly with ease question! After you & quot ; you will see what I mean put stepdown on! 5/6 wt obviously, custom tapers take a little longer to develop and build with the Deschutes rod Co. Seattle! Its still a 7 1/2 wt if you are entitled to Wondered if anyone had the taper design.... Have just been responding to a client request, presume he had to eat using Super Zs have been.... Specs for this taper out there, three of which indicates to me that there are different. This process and have to be a misunderstanding about the ferrules but not glued up... Of which indicates to me that there is a big swell under the grip learn... Far all those posted were missing the 1st station on the butt would. Use # 4 or # 3 lines am sure that the step-downs are important in copying taper. Felt was more reliable than this or not I ca n't say flat stress curve as!