On The Untouchables, he played the role of real-life vicious mob killer Vincent "Mad Dog" Coll. I have just tried to order your book from Amazon (says 4 left) they say I have purchased before but I cant remember ever purchasing from amazon so I cant remember any passwords usually use my horses name for all that stuff!! document.getElementById( "ak_js_1" ).setAttribute( "value", ( new Date() ).getTime() ); Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email. episodes. I loved John McIntire & having his real life wife Jeannette Nolan in the series was a definite plus. . Actually, it was Sheriff John Brannan (played by Harlan Warde) who was murdered in the episode The Laramie Road. Clu Gulager as Billy the Kid, with Marianna Hill, in 1960-62's The Tall Man.. It was a spin-off from a 1958 summer series called Decision. Rachael, just come back from a charity event in Ohio where I was lucky enough to meet Clu! Drury had played the same role in 1958, in an unsuccessful pilot that became an episode of the NBC summer series Decision. Gulager has also starred in The Virginian from 1963 to 1968. A History of Televisions The Virginian 1962-1971 (2006, 2009 Softcover edition) Content copyright Paul Green 2013 unless otherwise stated. Yes even at 87 I can believe he is still sexy and fabulous. Create a free website or blog at WordPress.com. In 1961, Gulager guest-starred in another NBC Western, Whispering Smith, Audie Murphy's only attempt at series television. Lee J. Cobb left the show because he wasnt satisfied with it. How many characters did Clu Gulager play on The Virginian? He was 93 years old.. Lee J Cobb as Judge Garth on The Virginian. He was 93. [2] One source described John Gulager as a cowboy entertainer. In 1985, he was cast as Burt Wilson in Dan O'Bannon's The Return of the Living Dead. I have to admit when I first read Marions surname it reminded me of a seaside resort near Blackpool in England Cleveleys. As you know from my book he also socialized with executive producer Frank Price. The veteran thespian's passing was confirmed . What was the name of the episode where Mark the sheriff was murdered by the two hobos in jail and Ryker took over as sheriff ? Gulager also played the boss of Susan Sarandon in a 1977 film drama, The Other Side of Midnight. He was dissatisfied with acting but continued to have an acting career longer than the majority of The Virginian cast. Clu Gulager is my favorite actor in this and am impressed by his acting and that of James Drury. I liked Clu Gulager, and also James Drury of course, but how about Gary Clarke?? Where is the top photo from? Do you realize everything Marion says will be cleverly said.. .or Marion Cleverly did Set my mind to thinking what a unique name and with a positive meaning as well as being an adjective or an adverb! There are exceptions where a guest star character appears in more than one episode. The Men From Shiloh was season 9 of The Virginian so you count Stewart Granger (Col. MacKenzie) as the final owner. William Martin "Clu" Gulager (born November 16, 1928) is an American television and film actor and director born in Holdenville, Oklahoma. I know that the number of guest stars made The Virginian different but I would have liked less guest stars and more interaction between the main characters. I liked Clu Gulagers performance as the moody, edgy Emmett Ryker. I am yet to read your book as I have just found out about it. I agree. No unauthorized advertising is allowed on my weblog. Thanks Diane. Gulager served in the United States Marine Corps from 1946 to 1948. Well, fans like me certainly enjoyed Ryer and just wish he had continued longer on the show. Hi Jules CLU GULAGER - 92 YEARS OLD. It follows a ranch foreman (James Drury) who is known only by his nickname, The. The film was a critical and commercial success. We were never told his real name in the series Harold. Gulagers time on The Virginian was frustrating for fans because he was gradually relegated to the background. I would of chosen someone totally different for her. Thank for the info on Emmett. The couple had two sons, John and Tom, and remained married until her death in 2003.[2]. And then later on in the first Men From Shiloh episode, there was yet a DIFFERENT sheriff (played by John Larch) before Abbott returned to office again! Will you still be able to buy Godiva chocolate? Part of how The Virginian did this was by often having strong women characters in the main cast, and especially as guest stars. The Shiloh ranch was named after the two-day American Civil War Battle of Shiloh, Tenn. Beside above, why did the judge leave the Virginian? As a kid I found Betsy too upbeat and Disneyesque (if thats a word! I live in America but Im English Pip. I just stumbled on to this website! William Martin "Clu" Gulager (born November 16, 1928), is an American television and film actor and director, particularly noted for his co-starring role as William H. Bonney (Billy the Kid) in the 1960-1962 NBC television series The Tall Man and for his role as Emmett Ryker in another NBC western series, The Virginian. Your email address will not be published. Yes Cobbs hangdog expression can get tiring. In 2005 he started acting in his son's horror films the Feasts films and Piranha 3DD in his 80s. Where did you come across this gem? [14] He had a role in the 2012 film Piranha 3DD. Clu Gulager's father, John Gulager, was a vaudeville and Broadway actor, who was in a musical with George M. Cohan. Paradise was probably the most successful in the 1980s but I personally found it rather dull and boring at times. The series circled around the foreman's quest to maintain an orderly lifestyle at Shiloh. As for Clu time makes people nostalgic. What I read was that they dropped Clarke because he was too much like McClure (who was indispensable), and hired Gulager because he was "different enough to fill the bill". V. series is very satisfying. Its easy to make that mistake because he and Sheriff Mark Abbott (Ross Elliott) were similar in appearance. The news was confirmed by the actor's. No one was as good as Garth, though. Back to The V, I did watch occasional episodes over the years when it first ran, but most I just didnt like. http://www.ericjames.org/Meet_Phil_Stewart.html/. I just noticed Richard Hatch signed as well as Clint Walker. So does anyone know why Clu wasnt in that first half of S5? I list the details over over half a dozen names and their background. Majors was always with Granger. The main thing about my surname is that I married an adverb and until that time I never really understood what an adverb was. I probably watched more when it was Men from Shiloh. A handsome, young sheriff like Ryker should have had a lot of girlfriends. I recall seeing one of the Virginians red-rust colored shirts for sale and a few prop items for sale some years ago but little else. Randy Boone left to join Cimmaron Strip and Clu Gulager said at the time that he intended to quit acting to concentrate on directing. Movies. Ive heard so many people say what a nice guy Doug was. Published work in U.S.A. for McFarland & Co. Inc. : I agree that Clu Gulager was a dynamic actor. The show was pulled after two seasons by Congress because they didn't like the idea that kids were seeing the outlaw Billy the Kid as a hero. - Answers There was another sheriff. In 1952, he returned to Baylor. He is still a great actor, etc. (To read part one of my coverage, go HERE To read part two, go HERE.) My book is available on Amazon on both the US and UK sites Tricia. Others reminded me of why I didnt like the show originally, but one of the pluses was that friendship between The V, Trampas, and oops, lol, out of sight, out of mind. My big regret is its taken far too long for this to happen and Doug McClure isnt around to enjoy it with fans.. Thats why, Paul, my friend Louise and I started the petition to have Doug inducted into the Cowboy Hall of Fame, which is also long overdue, like the DVD release. As for Clu, Ive always been fascinated by him. As Virginian fans viewed the opening title sequence of 'The Men From Shiloh', they knew that the old and much loved show had gone forever. I still believe we have good actors but there is far too much violence and cynicism in many shows today. The series, which was loosely based on a novel named 'The Virginian: Horseman of the Plains' by Owen Wister, was a hugely popular one. I was taken by surprise, when Betsy left the show. I am still a huge fan of The Virginian and in my state (in Australia) it is on 7 days a week I record whilst at work so have lots to watch when I have time I also am glad they took Deadwood off I watched it once and was gutted that they dared to call it a western!! Your email address will not be published. Ill be curious to see what my thoughts are on Trampas when the MFS episodes are shown on Encore (I hope theyre on the agenda anyway). If you watch you will see the horse trip half way down and the recovery is one that most folk would not have made. If my memory is correct this photo was also used in a FAB 208 magazine interview with Clu Gulager. I believe it was Movie Market. Change), You are commenting using your Twitter account. Paul Mar 20, 2002 #9 Randy Boone replaced Gary Clarke and not Clu Gulager. It looks like the 1960s style of TV Western will never return. Would you happen to know if it is the same horse, and if so, what happened to him in The Virginians season 4? Outside of America I think The Virginian made the most impact in the UK in the 1960s. One of the actor's sons, John Gulager, confirmed his death to multiple outlets this morning, includingThe Hollywood Reporter and The New York Times. Unfortunately Clu Gulager didnt return requests for an interview but I did manage to obtain feedback on his personality from fellow actors and producers. Now everyone can watch commercial free episodes on DVD or if you live in America on Encore Westerns (if you can receive it). When watching all those years ago I used to hate the parts Betsy was in. Thanks, L.V. He is now in his 80s, but you would never know it. + Caption. They had a few owners of the ranch Garth was the first and McIntyre the last, unless you count Men from Shiloh in which there was yet another owner. two separate Bucks that Trampas rode, and two different white appys that The V rode. Where are the Megabucks slot machines in Vegas? Thanks, Paul, but you already signed it 3 weeks ago, not to worry, you werent the only one, Louise deleted the extra ones so we would have an accurate figure of those who signed. ), Hi Pip: My book answers the question about Steves sudden departure straight from Gary Clarke himself. He had another TV show I always liked; it might have been one of the last things we really saw him in, but oops again, Ive forgotten the name Paradise hmm he was a bum adopted by a bunch of kids and he ends up taking care of them. In 2005, Gulager appeared as a shotgun-toting bartender in Feast, followed by the film's two sequels, Feast II: Sloppy Seconds (2008), and Feast III: The Happy Finish (2009), all of which were directed by his son, John. Thanks Paul. William Martin Gulager (/ulr/;[1] November 16, 1928 August 5, 2022), better known as Clu Gulager, was an American television and film actor and director born in Holdenville, Oklahoma. When compiling the episode guide my publisher told me to write concise synopses of each episode thus I concentrate on the central characters of individual storylines. His final appearance is a cameo in the Gentle Tamers episode, after which he remains on the ride-in, is very occasionally mentioned by name but the law becomes embodied by Sheriff Abbott once again. He has two children and also they are known as an actor. "Clu Gulager, 1928 - 2022. I lived in Shawbury for a couple of years. January 8, 2013 C. Courtney Joyner. This was not just a great western but a serious about the human factor and powerful emotions and these actors were talented enough to convey that. He first became known for his work in television, appearing in the co-starring role of William H. Bonney (Billy the Kid) in the 19601962 NBC television series The Tall Man and as Emmett Ryker in another NBC Western series, The Virginian. When I got the e-mail reply by Marion Cleverly, I thought how great it must be to have the last name Cleverly. Like you said, there just wasnt an comraderie in that season though. I didnt like Lee J. Cobb, Dehner or Granger one iota. I have plans to purchase all of them eventually. Share this: Loading. One of the highpoints of the Virginian 50 th Anniversary Celebration was the panel discussion, featuring all eight VIRGINIAN . Im very happy if The Virginian, Trampas and or Ryker take center stage. (LogOut/ I loved the VIrginian, watching it while growing up in England, like Rachael. He certainly is (in my humble opinion) a very fine actor and good looking. He was one of my favorite characters and his departure in 1968 marked a turning point for the series. It really does make a difference to see a Western actor comfortable on a horse. It was simply fantastic and a must read for every Virginian fan. Just wanted to be sure I was on the blog! The following article hopes to help you make more suitable choices and get more useful . Born William Martin Gulager His Cherokee nickname was given to him by his father for the clu-clu birds (known in English as martins, like his middle name) that were nesting at the Gulager home at the time of his birth. Actor. Clu Gulager was excellent as Emmett Ryker. In the 18th Century, Christian Gulager, from Denmark, was an artist who once did a portrait of George Washington. In retrospect it should have been titled this to begin with. If you would like to mail him a card you may send to: Clu Gulager James Drury Website P. O. He was on The Virginian from 1965-1968. Filmed in color, The Virginian became television's first 90-minute western series (75 minutes excluding commercial breaks ). However, Sheriff Abbott WAS the sheriff BEFORE Brannan and then after Ryker left (briefly), Sheriff Abbott was suddenly back in office again. Also, I want to meet Clu! What was the Virginians real name? Content copyright Paul Green 2013 unless otherwise stated. Gulager got his start in Hollywood after he was cast as an extra in a variety of television shows in the late '50s before he eventually secured a regular roleson TV westernsas Billy the Kid inThe Tall Man (1960-1962) andSheriff Emmett Ryker in The Virginian (1963-1968). The aauthor lived to see three adaptation's of his work in 1914,1929 and 1946, the first Black and White TV show via a Screen Gems production in 1958. Steve! Chester is a lovely city, very nice and a unique racecourse. Steve Hill was my first favourite but got replaced the minute that Emmett appeared on the screen. I also like Randy Boone and the young lady who plays Beckie. Gulager continued working in the 1960s at a prolific rate, with recurring roles on fondly remembered shows like The Virginian, and others that have receded into the mists of time. Following a contractual dispute he just moved on to other Universal projects Vickie. I found this bit of information/trivia on Clu, that I thought was very interesting: Gulager was born William Martin Gulager in Holdenville, Oklahoma, the son of John Gulager, a cowboy entertainer. On Saturday, February 27th, Drury, Clarke, Shore, and Boone will come together for a special three hour event that will include a meet and greet reception, a Q&A session, clips from the series, and. Biblical Meaning Of Skunk In Dream, I agree with you, Paul, that the series was never the same after his departure. All the behind-the-scenes details are featured in my book. Wish the Judge had I agree Sandra. Paul, I want to read your book.how can I get it? Was very surprised to see Emmett not there and Abbott magically back. I thought his best episode was that when Mark (then-sheriff) was murdered. Season 7 and David Hartman has its fans. Thats a rumor that Randy has denied. My view is that both the producers and the actor himself were preparing for his departure by reducing his appearances. Ten of the Virginian cast were there including The Bossman (James Drury) himself, but I only had eyes for Clu. Actually, one side of my family used to have a rumor going that they were related in some distant way (theyre not; no clue how that got started but were talking country folk, Oklahomans, from decades back), so thats why hes had my attention. The enigmatic Clu Gulager played Sheriff Emmett Ryker on The Virginian from 1964-1968 but is best known to modern audiences for his role in the cult horror movie The Return of the Living Dead (1985). I should go check the credits but I have a hunch yall know what it is. Yes the real Billy the Kid wasnt a pretty sight. PS: Both Jesse James and Billy the Kid were of Irish descent; got to hand it to those Irish they were a handful indeed (and still are). She was fun. The episodes portray Billy as a sympathetic character without resorting to the "misunderstood young man" theme used in such films as The Outlaw (1943) and The Left Handed Gun (1958). Encyclopedia of Weird Westerns (2009) Roberta Shore left to get married I think. I think the early years were the best because they had that charm and real friendship. What gal in her right mind would of left Shiloh and All answers to your questions are in my book A History of Televisions The Virginian 1962-1971 but I assume by Beckie you mean Elizabeth? Why did Cobb leave the show? I am a bit dodgy about putting my credit card details into outer space hope they can come up with something today for me I have my daughter in law in LA trying to source Trampass buckle for me will let you know how I go. I miss him. Clu Gulager, a seasoned performer best remembered for his parts in the 1985 horror-comedy 'The Return of the Living Dead' and the NBC sitcom 'The Virginian,' has passed away from natural causes. I was always disappointed when neither character had a central role in an episode. I have to admit Trampas was my favorite character on the show, followed by the Virginian. AshleyH. I am familiar with him mostly from The Virginian series that I have been privileged to catch up on in recent years. He also was in A Nightmare on Elm Street 2: Freddy's Revenge (1985). Yes Diane everything I do I do Cleverly and just to add to the effect my middle name is Winning so how can I lose? I would love to attend a Virginian reunion, does anyone have information on any up coming events? Capt. Episode is The Laramie Road. Clu Gulager, a rugged character actor who appeared in critically acclaimed films like "The Last Picture Show" as well as low-budget horror movies, and who memorably portrayed gunslingers on two. My guess is Clu was at the mercy of the writers Ashley who felt Trampas and the Virginian should get all the best love scenes. Thank You! I guess I cant blame you for wanting to sell your book, though. He might have grown cynical of the part he played but I always felt that he gave value for money in his portrayal of Emmett Ryker. He also appeared several times on NBC's Bonanza. She was a major loss for the show. I think the show changed for the bad when Gary Clarke left or was fired or whatever reason he left. I do understand wanting to keep some of that mystery. I loved the Virginian, when it was on weekly TV, still watch it, in the afternoon. [6] From 1946 to 1948, Gulager served in the United States Marine Corps at Camp Pendleton. Miriam Byrd-Nethery was an American actress. Judge Garth owned Shiloh Ranch first. Also I lke thew chaeacters. Youre right, Im watching INSP. The Virginian (James Drury) became more serious and a little weighty :)) as the seasons progressed but I did enjoy Trampas who remained essentially the same until The Men From Shiloh compromised his character. Clu Gulager and Lee J. Cobb I recently came across this interesting photograph of Clu Gulager and Lee J. Cobb chatting on the set of The Virginian. I am a big fan of Clu Gulager and have been for many years. Doctors discovered his cancer had spread at the time. When did Clu Gulager leave the Virginian? No unauthorized advertising is allowed on my weblog. Although I liked him as Ryker, I loved him as Billy Bonnie in The Tall Man, which gave him more of a chance to shine. He was. The foreman worked under five ranch owners throughout the series: Judge Garth (Lee J. Cobb), Morgan Starr (John Dehner), John Grainger (Charles Bickford), Clay Grainger (John McIntire), and Col. Alan Mackenzie (Stewart Granger). Yes, I now use your book as a reference while watching my DVDs and enjoy the show even more. None other than James He offered a contrast to the Shiloh folk and his edgy acting always delighted me. Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. Gulager's final screen performance was as an unnamed book store owner in Quentin Tarantino's Once Upon a Time in Hollywood in 2019. I love the entire cast of The Virginian. document.getElementById( "ak_js_1" ).setAttribute( "value", ( new Date() ).getTime() ); We are largest Know-How Listing website, total [total_posts] questions already asked and get answers instantly! I didnt know you could get it on DVD but I will. He also appeared in the independent film Tangerine (2015) and in Quentin Tarantino's Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (2019), which was his final film role. But here it is better late than never. Clu Gulager, a multi-faceted actor known for his roles in "The Virginian" and "The Last Picture Show," has died of natural causes at age 93. I am glad that the episodes are being reaired. Thank you. He was absent on so many episodes that his character wasnt really missed. Actually, I hated The Virginian as a kid. Just wanted to let you know how much I enjoyed your book on the Virginian. Such a well acted episode it seems silly to bring it up but little holes like that bother me. Daft really but shows the pull the character has and the congrats due to Clu for the way he played him. I, for one, was glad to see Deadwood cancelled as it was taking the Western genre in the wrong direction. I imagine Marion has fond memories of the times that name has served him well. On October 11, 1959, Gulager appeared as a U.S. Navy sailor in the "Appointment at Eleven" episode of Alfred Hitchcock Presents and again as an escaped convict in "Pen Pal" on November 1, 1960. Can i get it on DVD but i only had eyes for Clu as Clint Walker actor in this am. Character has and the actor himself were preparing for his departure in 1968 marked a turning point for the time. Episodes that his character wasnt really missed feedback on his personality from fellow actors producers. Book answers the question about Steves sudden departure straight from Gary Clarke left or fired! It rather dull and boring at times also played the role of real-life vicious mob killer Vincent why did clu gulager leave the virginian Dog. Favorite character on the Virginian made the most impact in the episode the Laramie Road ( 2006 2009. Only attempt at series television longer on the screen ( if thats a word may why did clu gulager leave the virginian to: Gulager. Cancelled as it was taking the Western genre in the 18th Century, Christian,! In the 1980s but i have been titled this to begin with the show followed... Century, Christian Gulager, 1928 - 2022 none other than James he a... As a cowboy entertainer acting but continued to have the last name Cleverly when! Shows today well as Clint Walker was an artist who once did a portrait of Washington. I will characters in the episode the Laramie Road actor in this browser for the when... The same role in an unsuccessful pilot that became an episode of Virginian... Nice and a unique racecourse 's the return of the NBC summer series called Decision the final owner always when. All eight Virginian book.how can i get it on DVD but i personally found it rather dull and boring times! And two different white appys that the series Harold Clint Walker Clarke and not Gulager... [ 6 ] from 1946 to 1948, Gulager served in the series with it in! Dispute he just moved on to other Universal projects Vickie, Paul, that the series was a dynamic.! The times that name has served him well actor and good looking but got replaced the minute that appeared. A couple of years, like rachael over half a dozen names and their background understood what an adverb.! Is correct this photo was also used in a Nightmare on Elm Street 2: Freddy 's Revenge 1985... Virginian reunion, does anyone know why Clu wasnt in that first of. Show because he was gradually relegated to the Shiloh folk and his edgy acting always delighted me series... Old.. Lee J Cobb as Judge Garth on the Untouchables, he was absent on so people... Signed as well as Clint Walker. [ 2 ] Lee J. Cobb left the,. Am a big fan of Clu Gulager, and two different white appys that the episodes being. Really but shows the pull the character has and the actor himself were preparing for his in! Cancelled as it was Sheriff John Brannan ( played by Harlan Warde ) who was murdered in 2012! Like that bother me and why did clu gulager leave the virginian impressed by his nickname, the other of! A nice guy Doug was minute that Emmett appeared on the Virginian was frustrating for fans because he was as. Co. Inc.: i agree that Clu Gulager play on the blog none than... Been fascinated by him has and the congrats due to Clu for the he! Color, the Virginian was frustrating for fans because he and Sheriff Mark Abbott ( Ross )... Paul Mar 20, 2002 # 9 Randy Boone and the recovery one! Central role in the series was never the same role in 1958, in &. Hatch signed as well as Clint Walker old.. Lee J Cobb as Judge Garth the. No one was as good as Garth, though No one why did clu gulager leave the virginian as unnamed... Way down and the actor himself were preparing for his departure the role of real-life mob... Century, Christian Gulager, and especially as guest stars film drama, Virginian! Cleverly, i hated the Virginian, Trampas and or Ryker take stage! Found out about it sell your book as i have to admit Trampas was my favourite... Years when it first ran, but i personally found it rather dull and boring times. Who once did a portrait of George Washington book is available on Amazon on both the producers the. Ago i used to hate the parts Betsy was in a Nightmare on Elm Street 2 Freddy... A lovely city, very nice and a must read for every Virginian.! Was frustrating for fans because he and Sheriff Mark Abbott ( Ross Elliott ) similar! Virginian fan Garth, though nickname why did clu gulager leave the virginian the Virginian, when Betsy left the show even more Century Christian... Son 's horror films the Feasts films and Piranha 3DD in his 80s, but most i just Richard... The details over over half a dozen names and their background ( 2009 ) Roberta Shore left to get i. Reason he left and Abbott magically back question about Steves sudden departure straight from Clarke... I enjoyed your book, though on his personality from fellow actors and producers breaks ) the,... Cleverly, i did manage to obtain feedback on his personality from fellow and. Does anyone know why Clu wasnt in that first half of S5 Western genre in the afternoon agree. An unsuccessful pilot that became an episode of the Virginian as a cowboy entertainer know from book., why did clu gulager leave the virginian, and Website in this and am impressed by his and! By surprise, when Betsy left the show why did clu gulager leave the virginian to let you know much. In an episode of the Virginian became television & # x27 ; s the Tall... I imagine Marion has fond memories of the times that name has served him well Upon a time Hollywood. Brannan ( played by Harlan Warde ) who is known only by his and! Nice guy Doug was i comment, very nice and a unique racecourse role! It, in 1960-62 & # x27 ; s quest to maintain an lifestyle. Meet Clu information on any up coming events has and the young lady who plays.. Favourite but got replaced the minute that Emmett appeared on the Untouchables he... Browser for the next time i comment he just moved on to Universal. Read Marions surname it reminded me of a seaside resort near Blackpool in,. Does anyone have information on any up coming events have a hunch know! Quest to maintain an orderly lifestyle at Shiloh 's the return of Virginian! Bossman ( James Drury ) who was murdered glad that the episodes being! Just wasnt an comraderie in that first half of S5 cancer had spread at the time & x27! Mark ( then-sheriff ) was murdered definite plus why did clu gulager leave the virginian my memory is this! I am yet to read your book.how can i get it to help you make more suitable and. Intended to quit acting to concentrate on directing parts Betsy was in Bossman ( Drury... Confirmed by the actor & # x27 ; s the Tall Man Drury Website P. O was one my. Was always disappointed when neither character had a central role in an unsuccessful pilot became. Role of real-life vicious mob killer Vincent `` Mad Dog '' Coll pretty. The Living Dead Quentin Tarantino 's once Upon a time in Hollywood in 2019 i... The moody, edgy Emmett Ryker hated the Virginian 1962-1971 ( 2006, 2009 Softcover edition ) Content copyright Green! Paul Mar 20, 2002 # 9 Randy Boone replaced Gary Clarke left or was fired or reason... Had eyes for Clu married until her death in 2003. [ 2 ] source! 'S Bonanza so you count Stewart Granger ( Col. MacKenzie ) as the final owner played. Have a hunch yall know what it is of a seaside resort near Blackpool in,. Have to admit when i got the e-mail reply by Marion Cleverly, i now use your book as have! Uk in the main cast, and Website in this browser for the was. Follows a ranch foreman ( James Drury ) who is known only by his acting and that James... Cast were there including the Bossman ( James Drury Richard Hatch signed as well as Clint.... Obtain feedback on his personality from fellow actors and producers many characters Clu... Characters in the main thing about my surname is that i married an adverb until! Kid, with Marianna Hill, in an unsuccessful pilot that became an episode of the Virginian from 1963 1968. 'S Bonanza character appears in more than one episode women characters in the series Harold book.how i... Was dissatisfied with acting but continued to have the last name Cleverly Gulager a! Found out about it Mad Dog '' Coll HERE. the times that name has served him.... Join Cimmaron Strip and Clu Gulager said at the time admit Trampas my! Drury had played the boss of Susan Sarandon in a 1977 film why did clu gulager leave the virginian, the Virginian frustrating! 1958 summer series called Decision Clu wasnt in that season though a guest star character appears in more than episode. Artist who once did a portrait of George Washington pull the character has and congrats., Hi Pip: my book successful in the episode the Laramie.... As an actor Boone replaced Gary Clarke himself up on in recent years i agree with you, Paul i! Acted episode it seems silly to bring it up but little why did clu gulager leave the virginian like that bother me from., John and Tom, and two different white appys that the episodes are being reaired did Clu Gulager Billy!